St. Nicholas, Brandiston

St. Nicholas is tucked away a little bit off the main road that passes through Brandiston. As we approached it, we passed the police car that had checked us out at Haveringland parked on another old section of concrete airfield just off the road. There isn't a signpost to the church from the road that it is on so initially we drove straight past it. There is however a footpath sign which happens to point to the church.

Following the sign takes you down a short track that ends with Church Farm on the left and St. Nicholas church on the right. One of the farmhouse dogs came out to let me know that it thought I was  up to no good but it stayed behind the fence and then one of the owners came out to calm it down.


Bravely, I continued.


The path to the entrance is lined on either side by Verbena which was looking a bit straggly but pretty healthy for mid October.

It sounded like there were a lot of rooks gathered behind the church cawing loudly and I idly wondered if that was how nearby Cawston got its name.

 

 

Behind the church the footpath continues. It probably wouldn't count as a footpath if it just went from the road to the church.

 

There are a couple of brick buttresses at the back. Wikipedia says that this is a redundant Anglican church under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.




This was the third church that I visited since I started this blog and the first that I was able to enter.













I noticed some graffiti on the arch columns as I left.



It looks like initials carved in the stone with some dates that I can't make out.

Visiting St. Nicholas Church put me in mind of Mysteries by Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapelfield Chocolate Factory

The Jenny Lind Play Ground for Children

Queen's Hills Country Park

Labels

Show more