For the Benefit of Pablo Fanque

I must confess that I had never heard of Pablo Fanque until today. At least I thought I hadn't but I've listened to a song where he is mentioned countless times, walked past a blue plaque commemorating him almost as often and watched a building named after him be erected. I guess I just wasn't paying attention. Sorry Pablo!

It took some rain smeared pavement art outside John Lewis in Norwich for me to finally get the message:

Street art on 25th October 2021 when it was created. Photo credit: Dave Guttridge.

The street art from 29th October 2021 when I saw it.

Pablo Fanque

Born in Norwich

1810-1871

As I read it, something told me that we'd seen a plaque for him somewhere. It was my wife. "We've seen his plaque somewhere" she said.

Actually it was just around the corner on the wall of John Lewis.

Pablo Fanque, real name William Darby, the first black British circus proprietor, was born in Norwich and lived near to this site. He is immortalised in the Beatles song Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite, with the line:

'The Hendersons will all be there, late of Pablo Fanque's fair what a scene!'

Just a few paces away is Pablo Fanque House, a huge new student block that has won awards for its architecture has his name emblazoned on it.

The song 'Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite' was written by John Lennon and recorded by the Beatles for Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Lennon took his inspiration and most of the lyrics from a poster that he found in an antique shop advertising Pablo Fanque's Circus Royal.

Affiche MrKite.jpg
19th century circus poster (unknown author).
Picture credit: Wikipedia Commons

Pablo made his name in equestrian circus stunts. In the Beatles' song 'Henry the Horse dances a waltz' and the pavement art showed a small plumed horse balancing on a larger plumed horse.

Pablo's fame was in the Victorian era which was probably the peak of circus's popularity. While he was in Norwich his circus performed in a permanent building which later became Norwich Victoria Station. Victoria Station has since been demolished. You might be thinking "that doesn't sound very permanent." By permanent I mean "not a tent".

For each Norfolk Corners post I aim to pick some music to accompany it. This one has to be 'Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite' by The Beatles don't you think?

Update

After I posted a link to this page on the Secret Norwich Facebook group I was thrilled when I got a response from Amy Fellows, the artist whose work set me on the trail of Pablo Fanque. Amy generously agreed to let me publish the photos that I took of her prints and also forwarded some better quality photos that Dave Guttridge took on the day they were created. Thanks Amy!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapelfield Chocolate Factory

The Jenny Lind Play Ground for Children

Queen's Hills Country Park

Labels

Show more